HSE Home Support Service

The HSE Home Support Service (formerly called the Home Help Service or Home Care Package Scheme) aims to support older people to remain in their own homes for as long as possible and to support informal carers.

Home Support Service for people aged 65+

The HSE’s Home Support Service is available to people aged 65 or over who may need support to continue living in the comfort of their own home or to return home following a hospital stay. Exceptions are made for people younger than 65 who may need support. For example, people with early onset dementia or a disability.

The Home Support Service is funded by the state and can be delivered to you free of charge by approved providers such as RHS Home Care. You do not need a medical card to apply and your income will not be assessed.


A tailormade home care plan is put in place to cater to the individual’s needs, which can include:

• Getting in and out of bed
• Dressing and undressing
• Personal care such as showering and shaving
• Mobility
• Food preparation
• Medication prompting

Our carers are professionally trained to  carry out constant employee reviews to ensure that our healthcare assistants are meeting the care requirements of our clients.

How to Apply for Home Support Services

You can obtain an information booklet and application form from you GP, Public Health Nurse or other healthcare professional, or you can ask your local Home Support Office to send it to you.

Alternatively, you can download the booklet and application form here

You must fill in the application form and return it to your healthcare professional or your local HSE Home Support Office. If you are unable to apply yourself, someone can apply on your behalf. This could be your relative, family carer, GP or public health nurse.

After the HSE receives your completed application form, the HSE will arrange to assess what kind of support you might need. This is called a Care Needs Assessment..

How to choose RHS Home Care as your Home Support Service Provider

Your healthcare professional may give you a list of approved providers to choose from and as RHS Home Care is an Approved Provider of HSE Support Services you can select us from the list. Alternatively, when completing the form you can apply to be considered for Consumer Directed Home Support.

Consumer Directed Home Support (CDHS)

Consumer Directed Home Support (CDHS) is another way your home support can be delivered by an Approved Provider, CDHS is not available in all areas. You can contact your local home support office to find out if it is available in your area.

If you are approved for a Home Support Service and HSE staff are not available to deliver the service, then a provider who has been approved by the HSE, will deliver the home support to you.

You will deal directly with the HSE Approved Provider(s) of your choice to arrange days and times of services that meet your essential care needs. These will be identified during your care needs assessment.

You can choose to be considered for CDHS when you are completing your application form. If you apply for, and are approved for CDHS, after your care needs assessment, you will receive a letter from the HSE approving a weekly amount of funding.  You can use this to arrange home support from RHS Home Care or any approved provider you choose.

For more information visit the HSE website by clicking the link below: